Last updated 30 June 2020
For the purpose of applicable data protection legislation, the data controller of your personal information is Readsy Deals, 4 Mikro Street, Park Rand, Boksburg, 1459, South Africa. Our Data Protection Officer can be reached at email@example.com
We draw your attention in particular to the sections entitled “International Data Transfer” and “Information Choices and Changes.”
WHAT WE COLLECT
There’s a range of information we need to collect about you so that we can operate our sites. This information may include:
- Information You Give Us. We collect your email address, password, the genres of books you like to read as well as other information you directly give us. If you provide it, then this information may also include your name, username, country of residence, or credit card information.
- Information We Get From Others. We may get information about you from other sources. For example, you can upload contacts from your email provider so that we can notify you when people you know create profiles on Readsy Deals.
- Information Automatically Collected. We automatically log information about you and your device. For example, when using our sites, we log your IP address, operating system type, browser type, the referring website, pages you viewed, and access times. We also collect information about actions you take when using our sites, such as authors you follow; books and advertisements you click; audiobooks you purchase or listen to; and your reactions, ratings, and reviews on books.
- Cookies. We may log information using “cookies.” Cookies are small data files stored on your device by a website. We may use both session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which stay on your device until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our sites. We do not currently respond to Do Not Track signals.
WHAT WE DO WITH THIS INFORMATION
We use the information we collect in the following ways:
- Service Delivery. To operate and maintain our services; to create your account, identify you as a user, and customize our sites for your account; To send you administrative communications, which may include administrative emails, confirmations, technical notices, updates, and security alerts; to respond to your comments and questions and provide you with user support, and to process payments you make via our sites.
- Research & Development. To improve our services.
- Marketing. To track and measure our advertising, and to send you promotional communications. Depending on your settings, these promotional communications may include deals or new releases emails, alerts related to authors you follow, social notifications, surveys, or other newsletters. You may opt-out of receiving such information at any time: such marketing emails tell you how to “opt-out.”
- Compliance & Operations. To protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity.
HOW WE SHARE THIS INFORMATION
We may share your personal information as follows:
- Third Parties Designated by You. We may share your personal information with third parties where you have provided your consent to do so.
- Our Third-Party Service Providers. We may share your personal information with our third-party service providers who provide services such as data analysis, payment processing, information technology and related infrastructure, email delivery, and other similar services. We require that our third-party service providers use your personal information only to provide the services we’ve requested.
- Corporate Restructurings. We may share personal information when we do a business deal, or negotiate a business deal, involving the sale or transfer of all or a part of our business or assets. These deals can include any merger, financing, acquisition, or bankruptcy transaction or proceeding.
When we use the term “anonymous data,” we’re referring to data and information that doesn’t permit you to be identified or identifiable, either alone or when combined with any other information available to a third party.
We may create anonymous data from the personal information we receive about you and other individuals whose personal information we collect. Anonymous data might include analytics information and information collected by us using cookies. We make personal information into anonymous data by excluding information, such as your name, that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We use this anonymous data to analyze usage patterns in order to make improvements to our sites.
We use several types of cookies on our sites:
- Essential Cookies. These cookies are essential to provide you with services available through our sites. For example, when you sign in to our sites, we may send cookies to your device so that we can identify you as a user.
- Functionality Cookies. These cookies are used to remember the choices you make when you use our sites, such as your country. The purpose of these cookies is to provide you with a more personal experience.
- Analytics and Performance Cookies. These cookies are used to collect information about traffic to our sites and how users use the sites. The information is aggregated and anonymous and does not identify any individual visitor. It includes the number of visitors to our sites, the pages they visited, and other similar information. We use this information to help operate, maintain, and improve our sites.
- Social Media Cookies. These cookies are used when you share information using a social media sharing button on our sites or engage with our content on or through a social network such as Facebook or Twitter. The social network will record that you have done this.
You can typically remove and reject cookies from our sites with your browser settings. For step-by-step instructions, please check your browser’s help section. Here are links for popular browsers: Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. If you remove or reject our cookies, it could affect how our sites work for you.
Google. To opt-out of interest-based advertising placed by us on third-party websites via Google, you can opt-out on Google’s Ads Settings.
AppNexus. To opt-out of interest-based advertising placed by us on third-party websites via the AppNexus network, you can opt-out on the AppNexus website.
Email. We may provide certain third-party service providers with anonymized, non-identifying information about you that enables them to deliver advertisements within emails we send you. To learn more about these service providers and how they collect and use information about you, please visit http://liveintent.com/ad-choices.
We use Google Analytics, a service that collects information anonymously and reports website trends without identifying individual visitors. Google Analytics uses its own cookie to track visitor interactions. To learn more about the information collected by Google Analytics, please visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/.
We use Google reCAPTCHA, which identifies bots by collecting hardware and software information and sending that data to Google for analysis. To learn more about Google reCAPTCHA, please visit https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/invisible.html and https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/.
INFORMATION CHOICES AND CHANGES
Opt-out. You can contact us any time to opt-out of (a) promotional communications, (b) any new processing of your personal information that we may carry out beyond the original purpose, or (c) the transfer of your personal information outside the EEA. Please note that your use of some of the sites or services may be ineffective upon opt-out.
Access. You can access the information we hold about you at any time by viewing your account on our sites or by contacting us directly.
Amend. You can also contact us to update or correct any inaccuracies in your personal information.
Move. Your personal information is portable — i.e. you have the flexibility to move your data to other service providers as you wish.
Erase and Forget. In certain situations, for example, when the information we hold about you is no longer relevant or is incorrect, you can request that we erase your data.
You may have an account on Readsy Deals.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your request, please make clear (a) what personal information is concerned, and (b) which of the above rights you would like to enforce. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the personal information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
When you receive promotional emails from us, you can also unsubscribe or opt-out by clicking the link at the bottom of any of the emails. You can’t opt-out of receiving administrative communications.
In order to use our sites, you need to provide us with your email address. If you cannot provide us with your email address, you cannot use our sites.
We retain personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it. These purposes may include satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements; establishing or defending legal claims; or fraud prevention.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information; the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information; the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means; and the applicable legal requirements.
When we no longer require the personal information we have collected about you, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible. If we anonymize your personal information (so that it can no longer be associated with you), we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFER
SENSITIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION
Subject to the next paragraph, we ask that you not send us, and you do not disclose, any sensitive personal information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through our sites or otherwise to us.
OUR POLICY ON CHILDREN
Our sites are not directed at children under 16. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that their child has provided us with information without their consent, they should contact us email@example.com and we will delete such information as soon as reasonably practicable.
USER TESTIMONIALS AND FEEDBACK
We often receive testimonials and comments from users who have had positive experiences with our services, and we occasionally publish them. We obtain the user’s consent prior to posting any feedback on a public area of our sites.